"DGA's thorough and innovative work has been critically important to our organization’s PHO success."
Our Team: Leadership
Driven by Experience and Purpose
Our principals, directors and managers possess an average of 30 years of industry consulting and operational experience. The MBAs, CVAs, RNs, data experts and others who comprise DGA’s staff offer a combination of financial, management, and clinical insight that is the perfect match to the complex array of business concerns facing healthcare organizations.
DGA’s professionals make frequent presentations on hot industry topics at healthcare conferences and seminars. We also conduct research and publish in professional journals.
Daniel M. Grauman
President & CEOClose
Daniel M. Grauman, MBA, CPA/ABV
President & CEO
Dan Grauman has assisted clients including healthcare providers, contracting organizations, health plans and other healthcare businesses throughout the nation. With an MBA, credentials in healthcare management, and having earned a CPA, he brings a broad perspective and a unique blend of technical expertise and business acumen to consulting engagements.
Grauman’s experience includes:
- Strategic and business planning
- Merger, acquisition and collaboration assessments and planning
- Market and financial feasibility studies for hospitals and healthcare services
- ACOs, PHOs, risk contracts and provider-payer payment arrangements
- Medical staff development plans
- Hospital-physician business arrangements and deal structuring
- Business valuations
Grauman founded DGA Partners after serving as a principal at the Raleigh Group (later Value Health Sciences). Before that, he directed the Chicago healthcare consulting practice, and served as a Principal in Philadelphia, for Laventhol & Horwath.
Dan is a faculty member at iProtean, which offers online courses focused solely on the needs of hospital and health systems trustees. He is a member of the AHA Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development, HFMA, and the American and Pennsylvania Institutes of Certified Public Accountants.
Dan holds an MBA and Sloan Certificate in Health Services Administration from Cornell University, Johnson School of Management and a BA in Economics from Temple University. He also holds a CPA license (Pennsylvania) and an ABV (Accreditation in Business Valuation) from the AICPA.
John M. Harris
John M. Harris, MBA
John Harris combines consulting expertise with a hands-on management background. He has founded a healthcare business, run facilities and consulted to hospitals and health systems, hospices, home health companies, PHOs, IPAs, managed care organizations, PACE organizations and conversion foundations.
John’s work for clients has included:
- Advising on strategic issues
- Facilitating planning retreats
- Assisting with ACO development
- Financial performance modeling in support of strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions, and new business development
- Negotiating pay-for-performance, risk sharing and fee-for-service contracts
- Developing business plans for new ventures, including physician-hospital joint ventures, ambulatory surgery centers, ambulatory care facilities, and managed care organizations
- Assisting with physician-hospital alignment strategies
- Operations evaluation and reengineering
- Providing expert opinions on healthcare business arrangements
Harris’s extensive experience includes founding Advance Choice, Inc., the leading national service providing hospitals with emergency access to patients’ advance medical directives. He has had senior operational responsibility in healthcare facilities. John has also been a health policy fellow for the US Senate’s Finance Committee.
John frequently presents on healthcare strategy, finance, and physician alignment. He holds a BA from Dartmouth College and an MBA in Healthcare Management from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Karin Chernoff Kaplan
Karin Chernoff Kaplan, CVA, MBA
Karin assists healthcare organizations in addressing strategic, financial, business development, and operational issues. She works with health systems, hospitals, physicians and other health care providers. Karin combines consulting expertise with a hands-on management background.
Her experience includes:
- Conducting fair market valuations for medical practices, imaging centers and other health care businesses
- Designing and modeling physician compensation arrangements and plans
- Preparing strategic, business and financial plans
- Performing detailed market analyses for healthcare markets throughout the nation as part of business planning initiatives
- Preparing medical staff plans and assessing physician need in specialty-specific analyses
Before joining DGA, Karin was Director of Regional Operations for the University of Pennsylvania Health System, where she managed primary care practices in a 250-physician network. She also served as Director of Special Projects for that health system, providing management services and infrastructure development for the initial phases of an IDS-owned primary physician network.
Her previous experience includes a role as administrator for the Division of Hematology/Oncology at New England Medical Center, where she managed an academic division with substantial research and clinical activities. She has also managed a long-term care facility that was part of a continuing care community. Karin gained previous health care consulting experience with the firm of Laventhol & Horwath.
Karin is a member of the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, from which she holds the designation as a certified valuation analyst (CVA). She received an MBA in Health Administration from Temple University and a BS in Health Planning and Administration from Pennsylvania State University.
Richard E. Chasinoff
Richard E. Chasinoff, MBA, CVA
Rich combines extensive experience in healthcare valuation, with executive leadership experience in hospital planning, business development and operations.
His experience includes:
- Compensation valuation for hospitals, physicians, and life sciences companies
- Operating responsibilities for hospital programs including:
- Radiology, oncology, diagnostic cardiology, neurology and stroke,
- Hospitalist and intensivist programs,
- Occupational health, sleep disorders, and wound care
- Business planning and development initiatives including ambulatory surgery centers, cancer centers, specialty institutes, and complex consortium and joint venture arrangements.
- Strategic planning
Before joining DGA Partners, Rich served as senior director for a national consulting firm specializing in healthcare valuation. He has also held the titles of Administrative Director for the Department of Medicine, Vice-President for Clinical and Diagnostic Services, and Vice President for Planning at three not-for-profit community hospitals in the northeast.
Rich is a member of the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, from which he holds the designation of certified valuation analyst (CVA).
He holds a MHA and MBA from the University of Minnesota and a BS in Biological Sciences from Cornell University.
Rudd Kierstead, MBA
Rudd comes to DGA Partners with over 16 years of experience in the academic medical center environment. He has worked extensively with physician leadership in New York City medical centers, managing practices and departments in several academic medical centers and in different specialties.
His experience includes:
- Health system business planning and compensation review
- Developing practice business plans
- Managing clinical joint ventures
- Performing fair market value analyses for practices and compensation
- Private practice, physician contracting, and educational program management for large academic medical center department
- Providing the interface between practice plans, physicians, and administration.
Prior to joining DGA, he was Vice Chair for Administration in the Department of Psychiatry with Weill Cornell Medical College, a department with 180 paid faculty. Rudd’s administrative responsibilities included compliance, staffing, practice, research and teaching concerns.
While at Continuum Health Partners, Rudd managed the centralized business planning and compensation evaluation functions in the Finance Department for this 1200 physician multi-hospital system. Previously, at Mount Sinai Medical Center, Rudd managed the affiliation with an urban child welfare nonprofit, was the administrator at an off-site dialysis center, and staffed the Medical Board.
Rudd holds an MBA from the University of Michigan, an MPP from the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, and a BA from Wesleyan University.
Bruce Podrat, MBA, MHA
Bruce H. Podrat has over 30 years experience in the healthcare industry, working with acute care hospitals, hospital systems, university medical centers, physician groups, managed care organizations, and other healthcare business enterprises. His combination of healthcare management and consulting experience means he brings unusual depth and a broad perspective to healthcare consulting assignments.
Bruce’s experience includes:
- Strategic business planning
- Financial feasibility and management including complex financing assistance and capital planning
- Acquisition evaluation and integration planning
- Design of physician compensation plans
- Fair market value assessments, including compensation and business valuations
He also has extensive experience in healthcare-related litigation on issues including physician credentialing, interpretation of Joint Commission standards, hospital and medical staff bylaws, and third party billing disputes. He maintains a private practice providing litigation-related services as an independent expert (see Bruce Podrat’s Medical Legal Services).
Prior to joining DGA, Bruce founded Practical Healthcare Solutions, LLC, (PHS) a regionally-based healthcare management consulting company. Prior to PHS, he was responsible for strategic management consulting services for a national consulting firm’s Philadelphia area healthcare consulting practice. He has also been practice director of healthcare consulting services for a Big 4 accounting firm.
His direct hospital management experience includes serving as executive director of a 400-bed community medical center and as assistant hospital director at a prominent university medical center. Bruce holds a Masters of Business Administration and a Masters in Hospital and Health Services Management from Northwestern University. He is a frequent speaker on healthcare regulation, strategic and capital planning and on the design of operations improvement programs.
Idette Elizondo, MBA
Idette is an insightful, success-driven consultant with a track record of significant contributions in addressing strategic, financial, business development, and operational issues for health systems and health plans. Idette draws on her consulting experience, experience in health system corporate management, and strong research background. She assists clients with:
- Strategic and business planning
- Market research and competitive intelligence
- Quality, clinical and best practice initiatives, including accountable care organization development
- Physician-hospital alignment
- Board of directors, senior leader, and physician retreat planning
Before joining DGA, Idette was a Project Manager of Strategy & Corporate Operations for the 6-hospital, University of Maryland Medical System, where she was engaged in strategic initiatives in support of the Board of Directors Quality Committee, Governance Committee and Major Capital Committee. She facilitated a governance redesign, participated in the enterprise wide electronic medical record selection committee, designed and implemented quality and major capital shared services, and was responsible for leading quality and physician recruitment efforts.
Her previous experience includes business strategy and development for Marriott International/Senior Living. Idette also gained previous health care research and consulting experience at the Advisory Board Company, National Institutes of Health, and working as an independent consultant. Idette also maintains clinical experience from her time working as an addictions and mental health counselor at a small, community-hospital located in Maryland.
She holds an MBA from Harvard Business School and a BA in Psychology from Princeton University.
Carole J. Graham
Carole J. Graham, RN, MBA
Carole Graham applies both her nursing background and data analysis skills in helping managed care and health services organizations improve clinical care and operations. She has a broad perspective on these subjects, having worked in operations on both the provider and payer sides of managed care.
Graham’s experience includes developing programs in ambulatory quality improvement, case management and disease and utilization management. She has also assessed practice quality for acquisition evaluations, and negotiated managed care agreements and fee schedules.
She has identified opportunities to reduce health care costs based on her hands-on experience in developing and implementing medical management programs.
Carole’s work for clients includes:
- Creating claims-based datasets and tools to support clinical analysis and medical management efforts
- Developing and analyzing RVU and AWP-based fee schedules, and acting as liaison between providers and payers on fee matters
- Assisting PACE programs assess and develop their operational and financial programs
- Developing and managing PHO/IPA physician fee schedule datasets for managed care contracting
- Developing customized financial and utilization management reports, and training clients in their use
- Providing interim management services for utilization management and claims processing departments
- Developing and managing medical management programs including ambulatory quality improvement, case management, disease management and utilization management programs.
Before joining DGA Partners, Carole developed medical management programs covering over 200,000 risk lives, as Vice President of the Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation. She also managed quality improvement and claims analysis for Keystone Health Plan East.
Graham holds an MBA in Health Administration from Temple University and a BS in Nursing from West Chester University.
Robert S. Harrison
Robert S. Harrison, MPA
Bob advises healthcare organizations on medical staff planning and development, physician compensation and fair market value determination, program/facility planning projects. Bob has directed consulting assignments for multi-hospital systems, academic medical centers, specialty hospitals, medical schools and physician groups.
His experience includes:
- Medical staff planning and specialty-specific community need studies
- Physician compensation reviews and fair market value determination
- Program feasibility assessments for ventures involving ambulatory care centers, ambulatory surgery centers, cardiology services, and inpatient rehabilitation services
- Program and facility planning in hospitals, free-standing ambulatory care centers and large medical group practices
Harrison came to DGA Partners with many years of prior consulting experience. As a senior consultant at Longshore ∙ Simmons ∙ Garofolo he directed consulting assignments with hospitals, medical schools and physician group practices. He developed the health systems engineering practice as a manager in Ernst & Young’s Philadelphia office. He has been a senior consultant and project director for other healthcare consulting firms in the Philadelphia area and in Michigan. Bob also managed multiple medical practices as practice administrator for the Crozer Keystone Health System.
Bob holds an MPA in Healthcare Administration and Planning from Syracuse University and a BA in English from the State University of New York at Binghamton. He is a past board member of the Philadelphia Health Information and Management Systems Society.
Molly M. Johnson
Molly Martha Johnson, MHA
Molly joined DGA Partners in 2007. She advises health care organizations on planning and physician engagement, physician hospital alignment, and valuation assessments.
Her client experience includes:
- Assessment of physician compensation fair market value
- Developing physician compensation models
- Creating physician-hospital alignment strategies
- Facilitating PHO formation and development
- Completing financial modeling projects
Before coming to DGA, Molly managed clinical research studies at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Oregon. She worked in trial initiation, collaborating with study sponsors, the medical center, and physicians.
At the medical group of Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, Vermont, Molly assisted in developing a quality measurement system for physicians and conducted a service excellence study of physician practices.
She holds a Master of Health Services Administration (MHA) from the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health, and a BA from Dartmouth College.
Stu J. Schaff
Stu J. Schaff
Stu advises healthcare organizations on a wide range of physician-hospital alignment, compensation, and valuation matters. He has worked with non-profit and for-profit hospitals, health systems, physician organizations, and healthcare attorneys across the United States.
Stu’s recent experience includes:
- Designing physician compensation models
- Conducting valuations for healthcare businesses including medical practices and ambulatory surgery centers
- Appraising the fair market value of hospital-physician compensation arrangements
- Facilitating the formation of clinically integrated networks and accountable care organizations
- Creating procedures and tools to streamline clients’ physician contracting process
- Developing analyses for business plans, feasibility studies, operational assessments, transactions, and litigation-related matters
Stu came to DGA Partners with several years of experience providing business advisory services to healthcare providers nationwide. He has also led financial planning software implementations for hospitals and health systems.
Stu frequently presents on healthcare finance and physician alignment topics. He received a BS in Finance from the College of Business at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.